The Abbey Group is a family owned private limited company based in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire. The business has been trading for over 30 years and was founded by the Group's Chairman David Sutton.
Joint Managing Directors Nick and Carl Sutton are now responsible for the day to day running of the business.
Activities within the Group include:
- Property Development and Investment
- Property Portfolio Management
- Strategic Planning enhancement and acquisitions
- Development of Renewable Energy sources
- Managed Cold Storage
- Logistics and Distribution
- Agricultural Trading
The company was founded as Abbey Produce, trading and storing potatoes, a company that is still successful today. Over the years we have expanded into other areas with the formation of Abbey Logistics and Abbey Chilled; however the largest growth has been seen in the Property and Renewable Energy sector.
Recent expansion in the property sector includes:
- Tesco Supermarket - Jointly with Tesco we successfully gained planning for the world's first carbon-zero Supermarket.
- St Georges Hill Care Home - Planning achieved for a 70 bedroom Care Home overlooking Silvermere Golf Course at St Georges Hill, Surrey. Construction is now underway.
- London Bus museum- we built a new museum for the London Bus Preservation Trust at the Brooklands Museum.
- Abbey Gardens, St Neots - We have built and let fourteen new, luxury apartments in St Neots town centre.
- Ramsey Business Park - We have recently gained planning consent for a new 16 acre mixed use business park in Ramsey.
We are also very focused on the growth of renewable energy and linking this into developments where possible. An example of this is the wind turbine in Ramsey which was erected to provide energy direct to our on site storage facility
Recent developments in this sector include:
- Wilburton Solar Farm - we developed the uk largest solar farm with our funding partners Lightsource Renewable Energy.
- Chittering and Turves Solar Farm- We gained planning consent for 5mw at each site and aim to develop these in 2012
- Burnthouse Wind Farm- we have recently gained planning consent for 3 x 2mw turbines.
- Ramsey Wind Farm extension- we have recently submitted an application for an additional 4 x 2mw turbines on this site
We remain keen to expand further in this sector and are working on additional Wind Farms across the UK.